Monday, February 2, 2009

Quick & Easy Foot Switch

So this all started with a floor lamp we bought from IKEA, with a handy foot switch built into the cord. The convenience of just stepping on a foot switch to turn on a lamp is really quite nice, and I've found more opportunities to do this elsewhere in the house.

During one of my many trips to Home Depot, I stumbled on the exact same foot switch I had seen on the IKEA lamp, in the lighting section, hidden in with the lamp parts. For just under $6.00 I had the foot switch, and for another $1.00 I had an extension cord to wire it into. Simply cut one strand of the two-wire extension cord and strip the ends back about half an inch. After twisting the ends, the exposed wire inserts into the switch. Once this is complete, press the wires into place and re-assemble the switch.

This worked particularly well for my office. I have a couple lamps on my desk, and turning them both on would be a bit difficult the way the switches hang off the back of the desk. So, I plugged both lamps into the end of the modified extension cord, and I can turn them both on and off by stepping on the foot switch under my desk.

So... not the most difficult house project, but a very nice convenience.

5 comments:

  1. I have exactly the same switch. The big question is how do the wires insert into the actual switch?? There are no screws to hold them in place. Just two holes where your photo shows them. The wires kind of "sit" there with no security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. help! I have the same switch and can't figure out how to attach the wires!

      Delete
  2. Where exactly in home depot did you find this part? Was it marked to be sold? Have a part number?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe they are in the lighting department, in the same area as the lamp repair parts. I don't have a part number however and I could not find it on the home depot website. Granted this was 3 years ago so this could have changed. I did see some on eBay when I did a quick google search for "lamp foot switch"

      Delete
  3. I've just picked one of this switches from a shelf in Portugal and figth with it back at home because there were no instructions available.

    I just wanted to tell you that I dont know you, but I love you.I really do!

    Thanks from Portugal.

    Mario

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.